The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, October 16, 2021

March 18 - 21, 1980

Tuesday, March 18, 1980

 

A quite nice day after it got cleared off. I called on Fern in a.m. Bill to the doctors again. He has a leak in the bowels but it can’t be seen by x-ray, tests etc. The doctors said until it gets worse nothing needs to be done. He is to go each week for a checkup. I did my ironing this morning. Dorothea for here for a little while. She went to the doctors with Bill.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 19, 1980

 

A very nice spring like day. Very mild and snow melted. I done regular work, went to town and done my shopping. Then I came home, got lunch, washed, put a rinse on my hair. Betty, Joy and girls all gone to Portland to the orthodontist and to shop. Robin and Ben was over here last night a little while.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 20, 1980 had my hair set today

 

It was cloudy, but cleared off. I got my hair set today. Also done all the work, washed. Then watched programs.

 

 

 

Friday, March 21, 1980

 

It is rain today, cloudy all day. I made cupcakes for NHF bake sale. Kimmy got her hair cut after school. She looked very pretty this evening. I’ve been busy all day getting ready for the party for Billie’s birthday. I washed, dusted, washed floors, prepared supper. Fern came up in PM for supper. Then in evening Betty and family, Dorothea and David came. We had the March 22 usual steak supper. Billie got nice and useful gifts. Many cards.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment