The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, October 25, 2021

April 22 - 24, 1980

Tuesday, April 22, 1980

 

It started out to be a good day but it clouded up and rained. I was down to Betty’s. I did some more washing. Dawn and Betty finished papering Zak’s room. Kim up here today and tonight. Zak up to Dorothea’s tonight. Betty, Carmen, Maureen Mumm and Zak came up for breakfast. They worked in Zak’s room.

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 23, 1980

 

Cloudy and showers, it cleared late in the PM. I was down to Betty’s in a.m. I finished the wash. Also Carmen and I washed all of those dishes that go on the shelves in her kitchen knickknack shelves, I mean. Betty, Dawn and Joy gave the upstairs floors the last coat of paint. I came home, cooked a pea soup for their supper. Zak up here tonight. Kim up to Dorothea’s. Billie outside most of the day doing odd jobs. Zak here tonight. Betty has the upstairs all done now, paper and paint jobs. Zak up here. Hortons here for supper.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 24, 1980 it cleared off very sunny and mild 70 to 80°

 

When I got up it was cloudy, rainy. About 10 AM it began to clear and it became sunny and very mild, high temperature. It ended up very nice day. I was home all day. Betty and kids had a dentist appointment in Mechanic Falls. Betty was beat, ugly, tired to death. I wish she got more rested at night. Dorothea here in PM and she took Delores and Susan to town shopping, also shopped for Fern and me. Zak here tonight. The whole family here for supper. I made 2 blueberry pies, defrosted refrigerator and ironed. Betty felt awful bad tonight. She is exhausted. It is hard for all of them as it is for her to when she is so tired. Billie done the shopping. Bill didn’t do much. Billie over to Norway. Zak up here tonight. Kim up to Dawn’s.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment