The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, October 1, 2021

February 1 - 4, 1980 Carmen's 17th Birthday Party

Friday, February 1, 1980 $266.70 $117.20

 

It was a dite cooler. It is a bit windy. It is blowing more tonight. No chance of snow. I washed windows. Done a dite of wash. Down to Betty’s, helped her do her windows. Then Bill, Delores and I went to town, cashed the checks, got a few groceries. Carmen down to school helping to put on a supper to benefit the Junior class.

 

 

 

Saturday, February 2, 1980

 

A nice day, on the cool side. I’ve been busy all day. Dorothea and David came up. They went up to their farm. In late PM Fern came up here. Here for supper and down to Betty’s with us for Carmen’s 17th birthday. She got many nice gifts, mostly books, clothing and money. I did some cooking. Temperature holds about the same, the very nice weather, no snow. Carmen had some girls up for overnight. They did well on their supper last night.
















 

 

 

 

Sunday, February 3, 1980

 

A very nice pretty day again. Billie Deming called. I did most of the scraps, just a few left to do. Not much going on today. Late in PM DOROTHEA called, they have a large bite on their house. The sale has been stopped for about 2 weeks. We are hoping the party will get it. A busy spring if it is sold.

 

 

 

Monday, February 4, 1980

 

I did my wash, hung the clothes outside. Except pants, dark clothes. I done regular work, made 2 loaves of dark bread for tomorrow night’s supper. I watched programs. Betty came up and made a phone call for Bill.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment