The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, September 30, 2021

January 28 - 31, 1980

 

Monday, January 28, 1980

 

Another very nice pretty day, very sunny, clear and dry. The wind did blow some. I did my wash and hung the clothes out, most of them. Billie in and out. Bob Thomas called. Bill to town and around. I made a cake, watched the programs in PM.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 29, 1980

 

The nights during this past winter have been very pretty, also nice bright moons. I did my ironing this morning early. I did a wash. Washed the floors. Pat Linscott called while out on her usual walk.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 30, 1980

 

A very nice day, very cold. Some wind. I got my work done up, got ready and went with Betty to Portland with Kimmy to the orthodontist for her teeth. Fern went. Wanted to finish Carmen’s shopping, but didn’t get it done. They don’t have the things you want. I did a dite of other shopping. The moon was very clear and beautiful last night and before daylight.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 31, 1980

 

Another nice sunny clear day. The ground is a third bare now. I done up regular work. Went to town with Betty and Delores and Susan. Today Kim stayed after school to work on the rocket her grade has been making for their science class. Bill better. Billie in and out all day.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment