The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, September 12, 2021

November 21 - 24, 1979 Thanksgiving "Oh my soul and scissors to grind!"

 

Wednesday, November 21, 1979

 

A nice mild day. I got up early and got the cooking started, bread, pies, got the vegetables prepared etc. Kim here all day. Zak came late in PM. Betty and Carmen went to Portland shopping all day. Laurie and Richard went with them. We watched programs in PM.

 

 

 

Thursday, November 22, 1979 Thanksgiving day

 

Well, it began to rain about 8. It rained all day. I got up early, got the turkey and pork in to cook. I got the table set etc. Kim and Carmen came early and they took hold and helped a lot. Betty, Walt and children and Fern was our guests. At suppertime Dawn called up. Joy had a big house full of relatives and friends. Ruth and her family, Richard, Laurie’s friends and Mrs. Dadman. Dorothea and David went to Jeff and Paula’s, had a very nice dinner and a good time Dorothea said.

 

 

 

Friday, November 23, 1979

 

Fair kind of day. I got things cleaned up and back in the place where they belong. I did a wash and washed floors. Bob Thomas called. Carmen called and Laurie and Richard. Billie gone about all day. Bill up to David’s a little while.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 24, 1979 New Washer and Dryer

 

Dorothea and David came. I was ready and went up with them to help her. Well! While I was up there helping her a brand-new washing machine and dryer was delivered and installed in this house. A very nice Christmas present to Bill and I from Fern, Billie, Dorothea, David and Betty and Walt. I was some surprised and very pleased now I tell you. As I did not expected it all. Bill rather not have it he said. As I told him I was planning to get one, No was the word so I gave it up.

 







 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment