The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, September 27, 2021

January 16 - 19, 1980

 

Wednesday, January 16, 1980

 

I done up the regular work. I done a washing. Milan left about 2:30 this morning. It was a nice sunny day. I wish it could have been like this at least one day while Milan was here. I watched TV in PM I worked on the puzzle. Bill and Ilan fishing.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 17, 1980

 

It has been cloudy and very raw and cold. Snow or rain coming. Late this afternoon it warmed up and we had a rain or mist storm. It froze on the road. I went to town in a.m. Worked on puzzle in PM. I did a ironing today or early this morning. Also defrosted the refrigerator. Kim brought a girlfriend home tonight. They called here on the way up skating.

 

 

 

Friday, January 18, 1980 No School

 

Rain and sleet this morning, it ended at about 8 AM. A glass ice. But it melted before noon. This was TEACHER WORKSHOP day, no school. I done regular work, made a tapioca pudding and brownies. Kim and friends called. Also Zak. They were up to the corner skating. Bill took the kids and Betty up to Dorothea’s. Kim wanted her friend to see it.

 

 

 

Saturday, January 19, 1980

 

Well it got cleared away today so there was some sunshine in PM. I done regular work, did a lot of cooking which it wasn’t my day for cooking. Dorothea and Dave came up. They went up to the farm. Bill didn’t do anything all day. He said he had a cold again. He worked on the puzzle. I finished it late in PM. Bill and I called at Dorothea’s. It looks very nice up there. Neat and clean inside and out. Carmen very sick today. Also Betty’s finger is bad again. They both went to the doctor at the hospital. Carmen high fever, bad tonsillitis, sore throat, ear infection. Dr. Turnbull worked on Betty’s finger. Dorothea and David here for supper. Betty called. Dorothea and Dave down to see Fern for a loan.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment