The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, September 5, 2021

October 25 - 27, 1979 Cara (Who is actually named TARA)

 

Thursday, October 25, 1979 CARA

 

A very nice day. I went down to Betty’s very early to be with Zak while she took the dogs to Dr. Gauger. Freya to be bathed in a flea bath. Cara to be operated on so she won’t have puppies. I came home, got ready. Betty and I with Delores went to town and done the shopping. I came home. We got ready, went to Norway to get Freya. Also Betty had some other chores to do. I came home and watched TV. Esther called in evening a minute. Bill up to David’s.

 

 

 

Friday, October 26, 1979 Cara came home today

 

Well, it is quite a cloudy day. I washed some windows, did a small wash. Got those registers washed. Got my regular work done and went down to Fern’s for a visit with Esther and Fern then Joy, Susan and Betty came and we had a nice lunch and a nice visit. Bill worked at David’s. Then Billie, he plowed for Jay and Debbie, Joy, and Susan. Betty and Fern went and got Cara after lunch.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 27, 1979

 

A real nice day, sunny, on the cool side. Zak up here for breakfast and the day. He watched his TV cartoons. I did up regular wash. Billie up early and left a little while after 7 AM to go help Bob Thomas take his pigs to be butchered. Dave and Dorothea came at about 8:30 AM. Bill went up with them. They done the rest of the cement work down on the porch in back. Dorothea got the house cleaned down to the living room. I made cookies, cake and rolls. Cleaned up the house. Kim, Betty and I up to Dorothea’s a little while. Kim getting ready for her party, Halloween and birthday. Carmen and Betty cleaned up leaves etc. outside. Billie finished plowing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment