The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, September 13, 2021

November 25 - 28, 1979

Sunday, November 25, 1979

 

Well it was some sunny today. I done my regular work. Dorothea and David up to David’s. Dorothea got her kitchen ceiling washed, what an improvement. Bill and David worked in the utility room. Billie and I called in late PM. Carmen to the doctors. He sure is helping her. She is so pleased to breathe through her nose like other people she says.

 

 

 

Monday, November 26, 1979

 

Well what a rainy day this has been. Rained very hard at times. Bill didn’t go up to David’s today. Well I washed in the new machine today. I will be glad when I get used to it. It is nice and to think I won’t have to go out in the cold anymore or slippery snow. Carmen up here for supper, she is much better. What a big relief.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 27, 1979

 

A nice day, the first one in a very long time. I did another load of wash today. I’m getting used to the new machine and dryer, they are very nice. I ironed this a.m. then again this PM. Bill to the dump and up to David’s. Billie out looking for work. I did a dite of cooking.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 28, 1979 Bought Cow

 

A fair day, cold early in a.m. but got a dite warmer. I done up my regular work. Down to Betty’s a minute. Then Billie and I went over to East Oxford. He bought a new cow, not Jersey. Some Jersey in her with a lot of Brown Swiss and maybe other kinds. I hope she will make a good cow. Brought her of Clyde Rowe. I watched programs in PM.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment