The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, September 17, 2021

December 11 - 14, 1979

Tuesday, December 11, 1979 Cloudy Clear And Mild, Susan Deming Rager 30 years

 

I got my ironing done very early. Bill and Billie didn’t get up very early. I worked on Christmas cards, orders etc. Reordered from Miles Kimball. Down to Betty’s a little while. Billie got his cards off today. I washed. The man came and put the new switch on washer. It has been mild. Kimmy up at supper time to get her radio.

 

 

 

Wednesday, December 12, 1979 SNOW

 

It has been cloudy all day. Late in PM it began to snow. I been to town to shop. In late PM Betty, Carmen and I went to Norway. I finished my shopping and so did Betty. Billie went to Norway. Beverly and baby rode over with him.

 

 

 

Thursday, December 13, 1979 cloudy

 

Well we didn’t get more than 2 inches of snow. It was cleared most of the day. Some clouds rolling around. I got the Christmas cards off today. Washed windows, done regular work. Walt sick today.

 

 

 

Friday, December 14, 1979

 

This has been a beautiful day. I done regular work. Then I finished wrapping the Christmas gifts. I washed windows etc. Billie out riding around looking for a job etc. Bill up to Dorothea’s a while. Walt home early, he had a tooth out. He didn’t feel very good.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment