The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, September 2, 2021

October 14 - 17, 1979

 

Sunday, October 14, 1979 sawed wood

 

A cloudy windy day. Dorothea and Dave came early. They went up to their place to work. They left for home at 2:30. Bill and Billie helped down to Walt’s all day sawing their wood. Kids pitched in and helped. I done my regular wash. I got a boiled dinner for supper. I cleaned up the apples and tomatoes on the porch. I cleaned up the house, dusted etc.

 

 

 

Monday, October 15, 1979 black bull calf went

 

It was clear early this morning. Then it got cloudy and on the windy side. I done regular work and a big wash. Bill worked on Joy’s truck in a.m. and up to David’s and worked all PM. Billie and Betty and kids hauled all the picnic tables away and the lawn swing down to the storage shed. Mark Graffam finished David’s chimney. Carmen up for baked fish supper.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 16, 1979 clear and sunny

 

A beautiful day, on the cool side, very clear. Bill up to David’s. I did a big ironing in a.m. Billie and Betty hauled out the rest of Walt’s wood. I did odds and end jobs. This has been the first sunny and clear day this month. We have had a very poor month.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 17, 1979 cold in a.m. 23° this morning. Warmer in PM

 

This is been a cloudy day and late in PM it cleared and became warmer. I done up my regular work. Billie took me to town. Betty went and picked up Esther and Fern to come up and spend the day. Cliff stopped in on his way home. We had outside broiled steaks, squash, hot bread, baked potatoes, pickles and apple pie. Billie and Betty and Walt and Bill finished sawing Walt’s wood. Then Dawn, Carmen, Bill, Billie and Betty all sawed the shelter would. Bill worked at David’s too. Kim called. Also Carmen. Zak came up before he went to school.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment