The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, September 9, 2021

November 9 - 12, 1979

 

Friday, November 9, 1979 VERY NICE DAY

 

A very nice day, sunny and mild. I done up my work. Washed windows, down to Betty’s a little while. I watched all programs. Dorothea and David up today. Bill up there and helped them. They worked on the well. Got it pumped out and cleaned. Dorothea got some cleaning done. I washed. Billie down to see Lloyd Trueworthy, but he is in the hospital in poor condition.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 10, 1979  Very mild, 55 – 68

 

It rained hard all day at times. Once in a while it would clear and a dite of sun would show. I have been busy all day. Cooked, changed all the beds, washed floors, dusted etc. It has been a very mild day. Dorothea and David came and went up to their house. They got their well cleaned out, cemented and ready to hitch on to the pump. They did some insulating. Bill up there helping all day. Billie been down to Fern’s , to town, to David’s etc. A NEW HOPE FARM supper tonight. I made a cake for that.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 11, 1979 Ref.

 

Well another messy day, cloudy and some rain showers. I done up my work. Dorothea and David came about 9 AM. Bill went up with them. I got my work done up, defrosted my refrigerator then Betty took me up to Dorothea’s. Billie was up there hauling sand for David. Betty and I took hold and helped Dorothea. She got all cleaned out her kitchen. This week we will try to get her kitchen done. I hope the weather will be good.

 

 

 

Monday, November 12, 1979

 

Well no school in observance of yesterday, the eleventh. I planned to wash but the weather wasn’t good. I did a few other odds and end jobs.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment