The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, September 24, 2021

January 5 - 7, 1980

 

Saturday, January 5, 1980

 

A very nice day. I got up early, got my work done. Zak watched his TV programs. Bill up to David’s and got the fire to going. I changed my beds, got the breakfast. Dorothea and David finally came. Bill and I went up with them. They are very pleased to see the chimney so near done. Dorothea and David visited and had coffee before they went up to the farm. Billie in and out all day. Walt and Betty called at Dorothea’s also. I came home, did my cooking, washed floors and did a big wash. Bill and I called at Betty and Walt. Floor is coming good. Tonight Betty, Susan, Joy, Billie D, Dawn and all the kids had a skating party up here to the corner. Zak made a nice visit and hated to go home. Kimmy had company today. They went skating too.

 

 

 

Sunday, January 6, 1980 a beautiful day

 

Another very nice fall like day. Not too cold either. Didn’t get up too early either. When we got up Beverly Timrey and baby were here to see Billie. They borrowed his truck to do some moving. They are buying an old farm in Casco. I done my regular work. Got my papers read. Vince and Monica called. No one else. Billie down to Fern’s. Bill up to Dorothea’s a couple times. They all had a good time skating party last night.

 

 

 

Monday, January 7, 1980

 

Well today we got a dite of snow. It cleared off early in evening. Lucas Street cut trees on Fred Dodge’s lot across the road. I did a big wash. Made mac & cheese, hamburger delicious for supper. Also an angel cake delight. Bill home all day. Billie gone all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment