The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, October 18, 2021

March 26 - 29, 1980

Wednesday, March 26, 1980

 

Well it was mostly cloudy. I done my regular work. Down to Betty’s a while. Bill up to Dorothea and David.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 27, 1980

 

I done regular work, washed windows, did my washing. Betty and I called at Dorothea’s a little while. Betty took Delores and Susan to town. Joy called. She was down to Betty’s too. Billie done my shopping for me. Dorothea and David found out they cannot get their loan at the bank. Kimmy’s name in the B News and many other of her classmates. It was about the spelling bee contest.

 

 

 

Friday, March 28, 1980 Betty got glasses

 

A nice and sunny day. Betty got her new glasses, they look so much better. In early a.m. Betty took me over to have the stitches taken out of my mouth. They sure feel a lot better. I done a wash, regular work. Washed windows etc.

 

 

 

Saturday, March 29, 1980 steer went, a new one came

 

Cloudy and rain today. A dreary day. I done up my regular work and Saturday work. It cleared in late PM. I done regular work and Saturday extra. I didn’t do much cooking today. In evening we went up to Dorothea’s for David’s birthday. It was nice. Had cake and ice cream. He got good gifts. Billie and Dave hauled manure all day.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment