The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, October 21, 2021

April 7 - 10, 1980

 

Monday, April 7, 1980

 

A very nice and pretty day. I got up early, done my washing and got my ironing done. I got a pot roast ready for supper. I watched programs all from 1 to 4 PM. Billie went with Bob Thomas today. Bill worked at Betty’s getting her bathroom ready to paper and paint. Dorothea called here this noon.

 

 

 

Tuesday, April 8, 1980

 

It has been a cloudy dreary day, some light rain showers. I done regular work. Betty brought up some washing. I washed and ironed them all. Betty and Susan to Shaw’s in North Conway to shop. Zak didn’t feel very good, he didn’t go to school. He came up here and stayed all day with me. He is a good kid and was quiet all day, he watched TV. His head hurt off and on all day. Bill still working at Betty’s, got the bathroom done. Billie went to a court hearing with Bob Thomas. To get his backpay of unemployment due him. I wrote to Esther and Cliff today.

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 9, 1980

 

Well, I got my work done up. I did a few other jobs, a dite of washing. Bill back down to Betty’s, he started in on the hallway today. Fern fell today. Billie and I cleaned the cellar.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 10, 1980

 

A very heavy rain all day. I done up my regular work. I got ready and went to New Hampshire with Betty, also Dorothea and Joy. Went to an antique store. Came home, I cooked a boiled dinner. I got a new kettle, I used that. As we were about to sit down to eat Dorothea came. She ate some boiled dinner. Bill got Betty’s hall all done except a little painting to do. Billie done my shopping today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment