The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, October 17, 2021

March 22 - 25, 1980 Nanny Had Her Teeth Pulled (RED LETTER DAY)

 

Saturday, March 22, 1980 William Meldrum Crook Jr 49 years

 

What a nice day this is been, very spring like. Snow went a lot. I have been very busy all day. Getting things done up etc. washed, ironed. I took a bath and Bill and I went up to Dorothea and David’s. The New Hope Farm had a supper tonight. I made a pie and rolls.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 23, 1980 a beautiful spring day

 

It has been a very nice pretty spring day. The snow melted, water run and snow melted out of the field. Dorothea and David came early this morning. Bill and David cleaned out the chimney. Then Billie and David got the tractors out and the manure spread out. David took them home to haul his manure out and to get his barn cellar cleaned out and ready for them to work in. Dorothea had a good chance to visit. I made out some checks. I wrote to Esther and Cliff. Carmen called and Laurie.

 

 

 

Monday, March 24, 1980 TEETH OUT AT 8:45 AM

 

This day dawned clear and bright. I got my work all done up early. I was ready at 8 AM. Bill and I left to go to the dentist in Mechanic Falls. We got there at 9 and he began as soon as I got there. It was awful. But they came out and I was home at 10 all OVER. My mouth was sore all day of course. I done my washing and baked a ham shoulder for supper which smelled so good. All I had was a cup of cocoa at night. I hope the false teeth will go well when I get them. It is an awful thought to have to use them. Dorothea down in evening and put a rinse on her hair. Billie D came and got milk.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 25, 1980

 

Well my mouth is better this morning. I slept well last night. I done regular work, went down to Betty’s today. We looked over some of her things. Billie in and out. Bill up to Dorothea’s and done a few things. Billie cleaned the barn and raked. Betty and kids brought up our supper tonight, it was delicious.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment