The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, October 14, 2021

March 10 - 13, 1980

 

Monday, March 10, 1980

 

Well it was hazy today. Clouded up tonight. I done a wash, man came to fix the furnace today. Not much going on this day.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 11, 1980

 

Cloudy and rain and snow flurries. I done my regular work today. I did my ironing. Billie to dentist. Bill to the hospital for test. He is very white and ashen looking. Dorothea and David to Scarbrough to see about a loan for their house. I hope they have good luck. I made out an order to Sears. Also a appointment. It was quite mild. Dorothea here this evening and done some washing. I did a puzzle today.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 12, 1980

 

It has been a very nice day, on the cool windy side. I done up my work, did a dite of cooking. Bill to the doctors to see the doctor. They can’t find out where he is bleeding from. He looked very pale. Dr. will take another test tomorrow and he may have to go to the hospital in Portland, Mercy. Billie in and out all day. Well, Carmen is very excited and pleased about going up to Orono. She was up here for supper. I’m glad she is going. They, Zenya and she, will go up on the bus. Come home Friday with Natasha.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 13, 1980

 

A quite nice day. I done up my work and went to town. Watched programs in PM and worked on the puzzle. Bill went to the Dr. again this morning for more tests etc. Then he and Dorothea went to South Windham and Dorothea done the grocery shopping. Heavy snow storm is coming tonight and tomorrow the TV and radio says.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment