The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

May 3 - 5, 1968


Friday, May 3, 1968

Mostly sunny, but on the raw cold side. I went to town in a.m. In p.m. I varnished the rest of the doors on the outside. I cleaned my desk and draws. Ken Doherty called. Bill hauled some cement blocks from Doney’s place. Also in evening we went to town. I called at Fern’s while he took the truck and hauled the blocks. Billie got his fence gate built tonight.



Saturday, May 4, 1968

Another rainy Saturday, in a.m. It cleared in p.m. but on the cool side. I made rolls and a cake. Billie worked for Lawrence. Bill and I sheathed and insulated the breezeway side of garage. Fern up for supper.



Sunday, May 5, 1968 Cattle Came

Partly cloudy on the cool side. Billie worked for Lawrence. The beef cattle came tonight. A black Angus bull and a Hereford cow. Bill and I called at Dorothea’s in a.m. They are working on their house. It seems good to know our’s is all done. In p.m. Bill and I worked in the garage taking care of the lumber and cleaning up. Billie will finish it. Bill spread lime on the lawn and garden, he harrowed the garden to get ready to plant peas. Fern and Lloyd called.


No comments:

Post a Comment