The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

July 8 - 10, 1968


Monday, July 8, 1968

This hot weather is very good. We are so glad to have it. I did a big wash. Thena called. I talked on the phone. Billie worked for Lawrence. This will be his last day. Joy and girls here for a little while in p.m. Fern and Lloyd here in evening. Sat outside in evening. Watch Norm and boys do their haying. Billie hauled home a load of hay for himself.



Tuesday, July 9, 1968 HOT

Very hot all day. I washed, done up my housework. Ironed. Billie and I cleaned up his car. In late p.m. Betty came with the kids to stay for a couple days. Billie all done working for Lawrence and was home today. He went to town, got some cold cuts, strawberries etc. I made a salad, we ate out. Betty and girls were here, had Fern and Lloyd up. The Stanford boys were up in PM. Norm and boys got more hay in tonight. I like Carmen and Kim’s hair cuts very much.



Wednesday, July 10, 1968

It was hot but we had a heavy rain shower. Joy over, brought some kid dresses. I washed them. Billie up to Chet’s doing some painting in milk room. Went back after supper and finished it. Kids are good. Fern, Lloyd called in evening. Kids and I walked up to Kennard’s after supper.


No comments:

Post a Comment