The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

July 11 - 14, 1968


Thursday, July 11, 1968

Another HOT day. I done up work, washed. Billie, kids and I over to Fryeburg, Brownfield and Denmark. It was awful hot. In p.m. Carmen went swimming down to the lake with Joy and kids. Had some Italian sandwiches for supper.

 

Friday, July 12, 1968

Another hot day. Billie and I with Ken and Dolores went to Concord and took Carmen and Kim home. We had a good time, they were glad to see the kids home again. We had a good time. Had a nice trip, came home, stopped at Brownfield. Got Italian sandwiches. Fern and Lloyd were here, we had them for supper. Very HOT. Norman and boys haying.



Saturday, July 13, 1968

Another hot day. Not quite as hot as yesterday though. I done up regular work. Billie done a few odds and end jobs around here. I didn’t baked beans today, it was too hot.



Sunday, July 14, 1968 green peas

Another nice hot day. I didn’t get up until late 9 AM. I got breakfast, did up the work. Bill painted on the house. Billie and I picked over first mess of peas. Norm and Barbara Stanford called. Dorothea and family came up. We gave her some greens and lettuce. Jeff not going home until Christmas week.

No comments:

Post a Comment