The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, August 24, 2018

June 26 - 28, 1968


Wednesday, June 26, 1968

Another cloudy and heavy rainy day. It is so sickening. I done up the regular work, talked with Betty and Kim. All are improved except for the awful coughs. I hemmed up my other dress. I press my new dresses, did my ironing. I picked over some of the things I brought down from the shed chamber. Evelyn Ridlon called with strawberries this morning, first ones of the season from her. In p.m. got ready, went down to Dave Thomas’s after supper for birthday cake and ice cream for Jeff. He got out a nice sleeping bag, a fishing tackle box and $10 in money. I love him so much.



Thursday, June 27, 1968

Another one of those cloudy dreary miserable days. I done up my work. Picked some lettuce for supper. Combed Christie’s hair. Picked over rest of the things I had up in the shed chamber. Billie came home tonight for a two weeks vacation.



Friday, June 28, 1968 RAINED

It rained so awful hard all day and awful rain and showers at night. Billie began his vacation today. Joy came over and left the kids Kathy and Lori while she went shopping. In p.m. Billie and I to town. Carmen finished her Bible School classes today, they had a closing program in evening. Betty and Walt went then came down here afterwards. It was very late when they got here.

No comments:

Post a Comment