The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, August 26, 2018

July 2 - 4, 1968


Tuesday, July 2, 1968

A very hot day again. I went to Dorothea’s with Fern and Lloyd. Jeff came back with me to stay a day or two. No word from his father about his coming to see him. Jeff is very disappointed. Stanford boys up in PM. Jeff played with them. Billie worked for Lawrence today haying. After supper Bill and I sat out back where it was cool. Jeff down to Stanford’s playing ball. Pat and Fay Linscott called. Fay had her pony. Bill, Jeff and I took a ride and got some dairy joys. Joy called in evening, brought some strawberries.

Poppa (Bill) relaxing outside



Wednesday, July 3, 1968

Another nice day, not so hot. Jeff watched TV all forenoon. In p.m. he and I took a walk down to the spring. He played with the kids. I washed and cleaned up the house. Billie worked for Lawrence haying. In late p.m. Dorothea and Dave came. They were here for supper. Also Fern and Lloyd called. Jeff went home with Dave and Dorothea. Dave sprained his ankle bad.



Thursday, July 4, 1968

A pretty good day, some clouds. Fair temperatures. A breeze all day. I done up regular work. I ironed. I mended and fixed by aprons. Wesley Johnson called to see our garage, he is going to build one. Aunt Ava, Uncle Lewis and Norm Stanford and boys. Billie working for Lawrence haying. Bill worked on the front doorsteps. He began putting the brick on today. In late evening Bill and I over to Aunt Ava’s and watched fireworks from their porch. Visited a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment