The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, August 25, 2018

June 29 - July 1, 1968


Saturday, June 29, 1968

Up this morning and the sun was shining so bright and how good it was to see it after so many many rainy days. I baked beans. Betty and Walt went down town etc. Billie took me to town. In evening we went over to Robert’s for a birthday party for Robert.



Sunday, June 30, 1968 Hot

Another nice hot day. How good it seems. I got the work done up. Betty and Walt to Portland. I took care of the kids. We ate supper outside. Bill and Billie worked on the front doorsteps, got them all cemented. Betty, Walt and kids didn’t leave for home until about 8 PM. An awful shower coming. Fern and Lloyd called. Walt sick.


 

Monday, July 1, 1968

A very very HOT day. I did a big wash, they dried very good. Billie and I picked up the garage. Billie did a lot of picking up and clearing. He trimmed the wall, the grass. I washed and waxed kitchen floor. Billie and Lloyd took the rototiller over to Twitchell’s to get fixed. Fern, Lloyd called in evening. Betty called and they had rain (heavy) all the way home. They had a very very severe shower last night. She said she and Walt got up and dressed.


No comments:

Post a Comment