The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, July 29, 2018

March 30 - April 3, 1968


Saturday, March 30, 1968

A beautiful day, on the very windy side and cool. I wrote two letters, one to Esther, one to Jean. Bill home working on the walls. Gordon didn’t come to work at all. Bill worked on the walls all day. Lida Randall 92 today. No Thomas family today.



Sunday, March 31, 1968

Very mild and sunny. A beautiful day. A lot of snow gone. Bill worked on the walls, very mild and sunny. Lloyd called. Dolores and Dot called. I didn’t go to the hospital tonight. I’ve been busy all day. House is a MESS. I’ll be so glad when it is all done.



Monday, April 1, 1968 WIND

I did my washing after it got cleared off in p.m. It was awful windy. I did some sanding, picking up etc. Gordon didn’t come today. Billie and I down to see Fern tonight. Billie raked a little outside tonight. Bill worked on the walls. First time raking this spring.



Tuesday, April 2, 1968 WINDY

A nice sunny day. But awful windy. Mama been gone four years today. Still miss her. I enjoy the many thoughts of her I have and they are with me each day. Today I did another wash and done a lot of sanding. I talked with Esther and Betty. I called at the hospital this evening to see Fern. Clothes blowed awful on line today.



Wednesday, April 3, 1968 FERN HOME

A beautiful clear nice sunny day. No wind. Fern came home today from NCM Hospital. Hope she will be okay. She and Lloyd came up to get their washing. I did two big ironing and wash. Bill began varnishing tonight. I got the kitchen and living room all sand papered.

No comments:

Post a Comment