The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, July 7, 2018

January 10 - 13, 1968


Wednesday, January 10, 1968

Clear today but on the cold side. I washed, cleaned up the house. Fern and Lloyd called for a little while. Not much to do today. I got my desk picked over etc. Not doing anything on the house.



Thursday, January 11, 1968

Clear and cold. I did a dite of washing, done up my housework etc. Busy all day. Watched my programs in p.m. I got my ironing done early. Talk to Betty and Carmen. Letter from Lila and Jean. Billie over and get his haircut after supper. Ken and Dolores called. Billie is to go on to 40 hour week now. They notified them at the shop today.



Friday, January 12, 1968

Clear and warmer during the day. I got ready, went to town with Lloyd. Got Bill’s application for Bill’s license (car.) I went down to Ferns for dinner. She had stewed beans. Came home, did my ironing, swept the house. Had supper ready when they got home. Billie on 40 hours now and he gets home earlier. Bill and I down to Dorothea’s and Jeff came home with us. He was so happy to come up here.



Saturday, January 13, 1968

It was clear and warmer today. It was cold in a.m. Billie and Lloyd cleaned up the rubbish and hauled it off. Bill had to work all day. Jeff up early. He painted, read some books, very good all day. He is all right, no one shouted at him or got angry to him and it made a lot of difference. He had a good time with Billie. Anyone who notices him, he respects. Randy came over in PM, they had a good time together in p.m. He read his books to me and we watched TV. Billie down country would Lawrence in p.m. North Berwick and Alfred and other towns.

No comments:

Post a Comment