The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

February 15 - 17, 1968 Betty's 25th Birthday


Thursday, February 15, 1968 15 below this morning

A nice day. I cleaned up the house, ironed etc. Fern and Lloyd called. There was some snow flurries today. In evening we watched TV. A very cold morning.


Saturday, February 16, 1968

A very nice day. I got ready and went to town with Fern and Lloyd. Did grocery shopping, also did some shopping for Betty’s birthday. I washed this morning, made up beds, cleaned up all around getting ready for company. The Horton’s tonight. They came about 8:15. All of us glad to see each other. Kim and Carmen are so cute and very good kids. Kim’s hair in pigtails, real cute. Betty and I looked at Walt scrapbook and snaps. Billie too. Talked til  late. Betty and Walt down to Fern and Lloyd’s to stay all night.



Saturday, February 17, 1968 Betty Crook Boutilier Horton 25 years old

A little cloudy. It got very cold and windy. I baked beans, made rolls etc. Cleaned a big mess of smelts for dinner. Bill worked in a.m. The smelts were so good. Lawrence gave them to Billie. Betty washed my dinner dishes while Bill and I went to see a car down to South Casco. 64 Rambler. Bill and I to town, Billie and Walt down town and washed cars. Billie, Carmen and I down town and down to get Fern. We had a birthday supper for Betty. Dorothea, Dave and Jeff came. Had cake, ice cream. Betty had a lot of nice gifts, jewelry, roses, cologne, writing mat and money and underthings. Had a nice time. In evening Betty and Walt out. Dorothea washed. Called to see Joy and Buddy. Gordon called, he was going by plowing snow.



No comments:

Post a Comment