The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

February 18 - 21, 1968


Sunday, February 18, 1968

Partly cloudy. Washed Kim’s diapers. I did an ironing. Made a pie, cooked dinner. Betty and Walt called at Joys and Aunt Ava’s. Fern, Lloyd came up to see the Horton’s off. They got ready and left for home at about 3:45 or four. Bill and I took a long ride to help charge the car battery up. Came home. I got the house and its contents back in place. Betty and Carmen called, they arrived home about 6:35 PM. Was glad they came, had a good weekend. Billie down country would Lawrence and got a load of cattle.



Monday, February 19, 1968

Zero. A nice sunny day, on the cold side still. Zero this morning. I done up my work and did a big wash. Miss all the kids.



Tuesday, February 20, 1968 Zero this morning

A nice sunny day, on the real cold side. I packed away some sheets and blankets this morning. Looking over boxes in afternoon. I made a good salt fish chowder for supper. Billie took what we had leftover over to Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis.



Wednesday, February 21, 1968 Cold, 10 below this morning

A very cold day. I cleaned up the house, made two pies. Fern, Lloyd called. Bill’s car wouldn’t start, he had to go to work with Billie. We have had a very cold winter so far. Billie and I went down to get Jeff after supper. He was so pleased to get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment