The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

April 8 - 11, 1968 Only Took Two Years


Monday, April 8, 1968

Partly cloudy, some rain showers. I washed. Gordon came and worked on the breezeway. Came back after supper and they put up the ceiling on breezeway. Norm and Barb Stanford called. I did some more varnishing.



Tuesday, April 9, 1968

Not a very good day. Cloudy and very windy. Gordon here and finished most of the breezeway. The molding hasn’t come. I did some more varnishing, sanding etc.



Wednesday, April 10, 1968

A beautiful day. I did some varnishing on breezeway after I got it swept. Also did some plaster work in closet. Bill did the walls in bedroom tonight. Helen Smart and Linda Smart called. Gordon here for a little while.



Thursday, April 11, 1968

Cloudy in a.m. and some snow and rain. It cleared in p.m. I did rest of closets and cleaned woodwork in my bedroom. Bill and Billie put the light in REFRIGERATOR. It has been out for two years. Also put the switch on down cellar, a signal switch. Gordon came up and helped them. Also put on a few draw pulls. I got my hair SET tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment