The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

January 22 - 25,1968 Carmen Very Sick



Monday, January 22, 1968

Nice and sunny in a.m. It clouded up and I didn’t wash. I cleaned up the house. Called Delores, Dot is better. I sent Bills income tax in. I watched TV program in p.m. Not cold.



Tuesday, January 23, 1968

Mild, cloudy this morning. Snow showers. I done up my work, got my birthday card off to Billie Deming. Mild today. It began snowing hard about 3 PM. At suppertime it had accumulated about 2 inches. Bill called to work about 8 PM. I watch TV in evening. Talked with Fern and Lorraine. I washed a few things and dried in the house.



Wednesday, January 24, 1968 CARMEN

Cleared about 5 AM. Bill got home from plowing about 1:30 this morning. About 3:30 we got a phone call from Betty. They had just taken Carmen into the hospital, Spinal Meningitis. About 12 at 12:30. She cried and they went to see her and she was burning up with fever. They discovered spots on her body. Called the doctor, took her into the hospital. Gave her and Betty and Walt penicillin. I’m waiting to hear if her name has been taken off the danger list. I did my wash today. Talked with Betty several times.



Thursday, January 25, 1968

Cloudy all day. I ironed early, got my work done, took a bath then got a call from Betty and Walt not to come up. But would like to have me get Kim and go to see Carmen. Well, I tried to get someone to take me. Everyone was sick. Fern, Lloyd took me to Dorothea’s. She and Dave were both sick. So after supper we started up to get Kim. The storm got so bad we had to come back. Betty and Walt very sick. I called them several times. Too much for them to try to talk so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment