The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, July 9, 2018

January 18 - 21, 1968


Thursday, January 18, 1968

Clear and mild, a beautiful day. I washed. Washed all the windows. Talked with Betty. Gordon came this p.m. But the bathtub enclosure on. Put Billie’s closet door on. Got some of the strapping up for the other ceiling. He came back in evening and they got rest of the strapping up and part of the ceiling.



Friday, January 19, 1968

A beautiful day. I done up my work. Went to town with Fern, Lloyd. Did a dite of shopping, some errands, came home. Made a salt fish chowder for supper. Watched my programs. Had an early supper. Gordon came and they finished the ceiling and put the lights up over the sink. I got the baby’s bed ready for her. Bill took me to town early, got the groceries. Came home, got the dishes washed. Cleaned up. Did the ironing sheets and pillow cases. Betty and her family came about 8:30.



Saturday, January 20, 1968

A beautiful day. I got up, got Bill and Billie off. Got Kim dressed, kids breakfast, did a dite of cooking. Betty and Walt up about 10:30. Betty took Nikki down to Dawn’s. Came home. She and Walt went to town or someplace. Came home. Bob Winslow called, he came up here for supper. Talked a little while, then they all went away. Dorothea, David and Jeff called. Jeff had on a pretty jacket he got from his father, also some other gifts. Jeff had got hurt real bad by a couple of boys. Billie worked for Lawrence today.



Sunday, January 21, 1968

A very nice day. Billie went to work for Lawrence and in p.m. they went down Berwick way picking up cattle. Didn’t get home until late. They didn’t start until late p.m. I got a roast pork dinner, took care of the kids. Did up the work. Betty and Walt away most of the day. We ate about 2:30 or three so they could get started back early but didn’t until 4:30 PM. Bill and I rode over to Moose Pond to see the new recreation building. I picked up, got things back into place. Fern, Lloyd called.

No comments:

Post a Comment