The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

January 26 - 29, 1968 Carmen Better


Friday, January 26, 1968 CARMEN BETTER

A very nice day, sunny warm. I done up my work. Waiting to hear from the Horton’s. A call from Betty, Carmen is BETTER. She is out of isolation and not intensive care anymore. Betty and Walt too feel better. Poor Kim is sick today thou, but not too bad yet. Billie took me to town tonight. Bill to bed early. Billie and I called at Ferns.



Saturday, January 27, 1968

A beautiful day. Billie and I up early, got ready and left to go to the Horton’s with Fern. We got up there about noon. At three we went to the hospital to see Carmen. She was very glad to see us. Betty took us out. It seems so good to see her and to know she is a lot better. After visiting with her a little while we went back to Betty and Walt’s, had coffee and started for home at 4:30. Got home at 7:30. Had good beans, bread etc. Fern here for supper.



Sunday, January 28, 1968

Not a very good day. Spit snow all day. No accumulation. Bill and I here alone, Billie gone down to Lawrence’s. They went out picking up cattle. Fern and Lloyd called a little while. I read rest of my book. Bill read a magazine. To bed early.



Monday, January 29, 1968 Called Betty, all better

Cloudy and cloudy, a fine snow and rain mixture. Called to Betty this morning. Carmen is real good, going to get up today. Betty had a phone call from Esther Saturday night. Carmen ate a good meal yesterday. I got cards off to her and Kim. A letter off to Dorothea. They are still sick down there. I didn’t do much today.


No comments:

Post a Comment