The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, July 8, 2018

January 14 - 17, 1968


Sunday, January 14, 1968

It was nice and mild today. Billie did his car, washed windows etc. Bill had to work in a.m. Jeff is having a good time. He and Randy are outside together a lot. Fern, Lloyd called and Bob in p.m. In evening Dorothea and Dave came and got Jeff. He hated to go home. He has had a blow in life which he never will get over. I don’t know just what the outcome of his life will be, he is on the balancing board, so alone. I wish he was happier and had someone to help guide him and to understand him. He needs a lot of help. I’d give my right hand to help him and see him happy. Dorothea won’t let anyone or me especially.



Monday, January 15, 1968

It rained and sleet snowed, late in p.m. It cleared off. Bill had to go out and stand some. Billie had to go up to Chet’s in evening. Betty and Carmen called. They are the happiest family, I’m so glad because Betty never was very happy before. Their kitten got killed by a neighbor’s dog. Randy and Rosalie’s boys called in evening. I didn’t do much today. Bill out to work early this morning sanding. Milder.



Tuesday, January 16, 1968

Clear but cold and windy. I washed out pants, shirts and dried them in the house. I wrote to Lahey Clinic. The snow blowed awful hard all day and it is real cold. No one here all day. I did a dite of cooking.


Wednesday, January 17, 1968

A beautiful day, on the much warmer side. I had Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis over for the day. They both are on the downward trend since they spent the day with me before. We had a nice visit together. In p.m. Merle Barker and a representative of the Anderson Window Company came and checked the missing screen and window of the picture window unit. Bill called out tonight. I did a wash, clothes dried good.


No comments:

Post a Comment