The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 20, 2018

February 25 - 28, 1968

Sunday, February 25, 1968

A nice day. I got up about 7:30. Got Kim up, dressed her, got breakfast, got my dinner to going. Betty and I over to North Bridgton schoolhouse, we got two school day for Carmen and Kim. We had dinner about one. Billie down to Lawrence and they are out picking up cattle. Betty and family left for home about 3:45. Bill and I took a ride down to South Bridgton, back to Sandy Creek, over through Denmark, out over Hio Ridge, down to town, up over Lower and Upper Ridges. Billie home about 10. Fern, Lloyd called in evening.



Monday, February 26, 1968 Zero this morning

A nice mild day after a 5° below this… I washed, clothes dried very good. I cleaned up the house, put things back in place after the company of the past week and over the weekend. Wyvern Ashbel  Smith  41 years today. I watched TV shows in p.m., got the clothes in.



Tuesday, February 27, 1968 Zero this morning

Clear in a.m., clouded up in PM. Zero this morning. I done my work. Did the ironing. Helen Smart and Linda Smart called. I made a butter crunch pie for supper. Also roasted a roast pork. Billie and I called at Aunt Ava’s and Uncle Lewis’s in evening.



Wednesday, February 28, 1968  6 above this morning

A fair day. I did a dite of cooking. Made a meatloaf supper. I washed a little today. Mended my undergarments. Picked over my desk.



No comments:

Post a Comment