The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 13, 2018

February 1 - 3, 1968


Thursday, February 1, 1968 Carmen Home

A cloudy day. It began to rain in evening. Bill called out to work about 10:30. In evening Billie and I called at Aunt Ava’s and Uncle Lewis’s and at Fern’s. Fern been to Dr. Godute for eye examination. I ironed. In p.m. I got a call from Carmen. She got home from hospital after a very serious sickness. Spinal meningitis. We are so lucky she came home all well.



Friday, February 2, 1968

A good calumus day as no groundhog will see his shadow today. I done up my work. Amy called. She and Ervin been sick. Dolores called. I called Fern, she still has a cold. I sent Carmen’s birthday card. I went to town with Lloyd. Did a dite of shopping.




 Saturday, February 3, 1968

A very nice day. Gordon came up and worked in p.m. I cooked, baked beans. Billie downtown with the car in late p.m. getting ready to go tomorrow. He helped Gordon in a.m. Bill helped in p.m. In late p.m. Bill took me to town to get the cake etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment