The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, July 16, 2018

February 11 - 14, 1968


Sunday, February 11, 1968

It cleared off all nice today. It is cold, we didn’t get up very early. Done up the housework. Got a chicken dinner, very good in p.m. Billie went down country (to Porter) with Lawrence. Dawn and her husband called and brought Nikki up in PM. No one else here all day. Bill watched TV. Dorothea began work tonight at Fairchilds in South Portland.



Monday, February 12, 1968

It was 8 below this morning, cloudy but later it cleared. I did a wash. Bill home, not feeling very good. His car wouldn’t start. No one here today. In evening Billie and I called on Robert. I made a pie, had veal chops for supper. I got a letter from Frances. Herman is in hospital. I picked over some more boxes this p.m. Betty called, they had a nice weekend. Visited Walt’s mother and father, also Joys and Buddy.



Tuesday, February 13, 1968

Cold this morning, about 12 below. On the cold raw side all day. I washed windows, did a dite of cooking. And cleaned up the house and other odd jobs. Uncle Lewis still sick. I sent a letter to Frances today.



Wednesday, February 14, 1968

A nice day. Sunny and warm during the day. I washed some more clothes. In evening Billie and I went down and called at Stanfords.


No comments:

Post a Comment