The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 5, 2018

January 4 - 6, 1968


Thursday, January 4, 1968

It was a nice sunny forenoon, clouded up in p.m. and it began snowing about 1 PM. Betty and kids came about 2 PM or 2:30. It was snowing. She went right back. Got back to Concord about five and called when she got home. I done up the work, cleaned up the house some. Took a bath and wrote a lot of letters. Kim is real cunning.



Friday, January 5, 1968

I got my work done up early. Kids up about 9:15. Fern, Lloyd called. I didn’t do much today, had a meat hash for supper. In evening Gordon came up, got the three closet doors on. It looks so nice. Coming tomorrow. Billie took me to town. Carmen went. Sally came up after supper. I finished writing all my letters today. Sent Bills check $146.51 to the bank this week.



Saturday, January 6, 1968

A very nice day. I got my beans in, got breakfast for Billie and the kids. Bill home, got his dinner. Gordon came back again today. They got the door on the cellar way. Also got the crack in the cellar foundation all caulked up to keep the cold out. The pump froze up. They got Billie’s ceiling all done today. In p.m. Dorothea and family came up for supper. Then went Barbara and Phil’s. Fern here for supper. Kim fell and bumped her head tonight. Jeff brought his record up for me to listen to. I pity him so. I made two lemon sponge pies, two pots of beans, also a double batch of rolls. Dorothea had a pie, rolls and beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment