The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 6, 2018

January 7 - 9, 1968


Sunday, January 7, 1968

It was snowing hard this morning but cleared about noon. Bill called out about 5:30 AM. We didn’t get up very early. Kids good all day. Betty called in a.m. We got our driveway plowed out about seven tonight. Fern sick again today. Bill home for supper about 6 PM. Had to go out and do some more plowing. The wind is still blowing very hard tonight and it has blowed hard all day. Awful wind all day, snow blowed so hard you couldn’t see over to Ilan’s, down to Stanford’s or into the road. Kim and Carmen real cute.



Monday, January 8, 1968 Wind blowed so hard this p.m. and evening

Snow still flying and blowing, but it is sunny. Betty came about 11 for Carmen and Kim. She visited a few hours. They left about 2 PM. It was so hard. I don’t know how to describe it. They now have a nice home, the best mother and father to go to. I don’t want them all the time. They are so close and loved so much it is hard to see them go, such a empty feeling. Yet I want them to go. I guess it is supposed to be this way. I’m so happy about these two babies and their new home and life. Walt is the most wonderful person in the world I guess. He has taken such a burden of worries off us all. We love to see Betty so happy and okay.



Tuesday, January 9, 1968

Very high and hard winds all last night and this forenoon. Awful heavy winds. Bill to work about six. Cars started hard, temperatures down to 10 below. I cleaned kitchen stove. Cleaned up. Did some desk work. I miss those two sweet little angels Carmen and Kim. I sent my airway payments and a note asking them to check this machine before I make the last payment. Bill got Billie’s income tax ready to go. Joe came to plow out the drift in the yard tonight. Settled up with him, $19.


No comments:

Post a Comment