The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

March 26 - 29, 1967 Easter, Birthdays and RED LETTER DAY


Sunday, March 26, 1967 Easter Sunday

A nice day. I got up, took care of my two granddaughters, done up my work. Took a bath. Bill and I rode over to Stanford’s. Bill worked at Betty’s. She is so pleased about the thing she got done. Dave Thomas family came up, we had a Easter dinner and birthday cake for Billie and Dave.
Celebrating David and Billie's birthdays - Jeff, Fern, David, Carmen and Billie. Nanny, Kim and Bill in back

Poppa putting me on Christie

A muddy Easter Day






Monday, March 27, 1967

Kind of a cloudy day. Bill and I over to Norway on business. About the house. Came home, Bill went to work. I did my washing. Betty feels better today and less discouraged. Joe Hatch moved his tractor and grater up to begin working tomorrow morning.



Tuesday, March 28, 1967

Rain showers. They won’t do much today on the lot. Foggy all day. They didn’t get any work done today. I got my clothes in and ironed. Kids here all day. Betty to Portland to see Dr. Cleveland.




Wednesday, March 29, 1967 This is a RED LETTER Day

Today the rain clouds cleared. Away the sun came out. Joe Hatch came and began on our lot for building a BRAND NEW House. Gordon here checking space drainage etc. it don’t seem real. Betty and children here in p.m. I had a lot of callers today. Fern, Lloyd, Helen Smart and kids, Gordon. Betty to Dr. Richards tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment