The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, April 14, 2018

February 14 - 17, 1967 Betty's 24th Birthday


Tuesday, February 14, 1967 Kim sick

Kim been sick all day. We have been trying to find a place for Betty to move. Dr. came very late tonight to see Kim. She was a dite better. Mrs. Allen called on Betty to see the baby. I did my ironing.



Wednesday, February 15, 1967

Mild. I made some donuts, brownies. A very nice mild day. I did a wash today. In p.m. Dorothea, Betty and children called. Dorothea had the car so she came up. Kim better. Carmen up here for supper.



Thursday, February 16, 1967

A nice day, warm in a.m. but heavy winds came up and it got very cold. Billie home lame. I did a wash. Washed my bedspread, got ready to pack and move. I went down and stayed with Kim and Carmen in p.m. well Betty went to the dentist. Came home, got supper, ate early and then got ready to go to June’s. I shampooed my hair, put on a rinse. Kennard called.



Friday, February 17, 1967 Betty 24 today

Four below this morning. A beautiful day. I got my work done up early. Betty and kids came up. I packed a box of things today from my bedroom. We moved Kim’s crib downstairs. Kim pretty good. Rosa Burnham died last night. I had my hair set last night. Betty and Bill’s licenses came. Betty out for a birthday dinner and movie with Bonnie tonight. Bonnie’s treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment