The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 26, 2018

April 3 - 6, 1967


Monday, April 3, 1967 Fields got most all bare

Very mild this morning. It got colder as the wind began to blow. I got a lot of extra washing done today, blankets etc. Clothes dried good. I got them in and ironed. Betty brought Kim up while she took Carmen for a checkup at Dr. Richards. Thought it was a cold. Asthma attack. They got the forms started at the house lot. Gordon dug the ditch out. Called at Ferns in evening. A lot of bare ground up in the field.





Tuesday, April 4, 1967

A very cold day. I done up my regular work. Did a small wash Betty brought up yesterday. Fern, Lloyd called. Betty came up and brought the girls up. She went to Norway to take Dot over. Baby staying up here tonight. Carmen and Betty didn’t feel good. Gordon down this a.m. for coffee. Working on the forms at the new place. Carmen Kristie walked up through the field to the new place. Carmen said I like to walk up in the field Nanny. Joy called, a girl April 1.



Wednesday, April 5, 1967

Not so cold. I done up my work. Gordon down for coffee break. I defrosted my refrigerator. LC Andrews man, a salesman, George Lowell, called. Gordon has ordered some material for the house. Kim happy around here this morning.



Thursday, April 6, 1967 SNOW

Cloudy. It began snowing about 9:30. We got about 5 inches. Betty and Carmen came up. Betty went back home. Kids here all day. I didn’t do much except a small wash. Bill called out after supper. Billie and I took the kids down home. Betty down to Dorothea’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment