The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, April 20, 2018

March 10 - 13, 1967


Friday, March 10, 1967

A very nice warm day, temps up in the 45 to 50°. Snow settled. I done up regular work, washed windows, got clothes in and ironed. Betty and children came up. Betty down town and did some errands. She and children here for supper. Had scallops. Bill and I to town after supper. Betty got a $80 check for Mike’s child-support.



Saturday, March 11, 1967

A beautiful day. I done up my Saturday regular work. Betty and girls here in p.m. and for supper. Also Fern. Betty and I to town, called at Delores’s. Betty got a electric apartment size stove today. A very nice mild day. Billie worked for Lawrence. Up to Chet’s in evening.



Sunday, March 12, 1967

Not quite so warm today. We talked and discussed house plans. Bill down to Betty’s. Kimberly came back with him. She is 11 months old today. She is beginning to creep. Bill went to see Dick Stevens about building a house. Just for his prices etc. Betty and girls here for supper. Dorothea, Dave and Jeff called also Fern and Lloyd. Billie and I called at Betty’s. Bill called three or four times.



Monday, March 13, 1967

I washed. A real March day, on the raw windy side. Lloyd called. I got my washing done early. Betty and kids here in p.m. Betty changed tires on her car. She took the tires off Dorothea’s car. Kennard helped her in PM. Bill after supper.


No comments:

Post a Comment