The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

February 26 - March 1, 1967


Sunday, February 26, 1967

A beautiful day. Bill up at usual time and had to go to work. Billie and I got up about nine. Had to go down and get the Fitch boy to shovel off the porch roofs. I called at Betty’s. We brought Kim up. She and Carmen came later. Betty can’t get the house on the Ridge. She looked for a place today. Kim pretty good. Lloyd here in a.m. Bill worked until 3 PM. Billie down country, Freedom, New Hampshire, with Lawrence in p.m. A town truck got into the river unloading snow.





Monday, February 27, 1967

On the cool windy side. I did a very big wash. Betty and Billie sick with cold etc. Kim not good today. I went down town with Kennard in a.m. Trying to locate a place for Betty to live.



Tuesday, February 28, 1967 40°

A very nice mild day. Snow melted a dite. I done up my work, got my clothes in, ironed. Betty and kids came up, we went looking for a house. Came home, we had supper. Bill and I got ready, went down to Dorothea’s and called for the evening. Betty did my dishes. Kimberly better. Betty’s cold seems better and Billie’s. Bill has one now. Fern, Lloyd called.



Wednesday, March 1, 1967

It was a nice day. I got my work done up. Then I picked my bureau draws over and packed some of the things. Also my desk draws. In evening I called at Betty’s, got her clothes. I had a long talk with Mrs. Carter.

Elizabeth Carter - State Social Worker




No comments:

Post a Comment