The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 12, 2018

February 6 - 9, 1967


Monday, February 6, 1967

Cold. I washed. It was very cold. The clothes froze. Carmen and Betty came up. Betty got ready and went to Portland to see Kimberly. Art Hazelton gave her a car to use until she gets her fixed. She left Carmen here. Called and got Dorothea. Kim was resting easier. She is in an oxygen tent. She will have to stay for a week or more.



Tuesday, February 7, 1967 Saw Kim

Zero temp. Cloudy and snow. A big blizzard south of Portland as far as Washington DC. Not too bad around here above Raymond. I got my clothes in. Betty called, asked me to go to Portland to see Kim and her Doctor Matthews. We did. He don’t want to operate unless it is absolutely necessary. She don’t look good. Carmen stayed with Dorothea. Bill worked a few hours tonight.



Wednesday, February 8, 1967 Cold

A very nice clear cold day. 20 to 25° below in different places. 12 below here. I done up my work, wrote to Esther. Did some odds and end jobs. Made a nice beef soup with dumplings for supper. Carmen and Betty here. Betty is looking for a place to live. No school in Windham and Raymond today.



Thursday, February 9, 1967

Two above. A beautiful day, not so cold. I washed. Betty got her car back today, she and Carmen up here. We had chicken pie for supper and a carrot cake. The cake was very good, first time I had made it. Esther’s recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment