The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 5, 2018

January 9 - 12, 1967




Monday, January 9, 1967

A nice mild day. Betty took Kim to the hospital, NCM at midnight last night. Her breathing was bad. All I had today was Carmen. I got my wash done early today. In p.m. I was alone. I got Dorothea and Jeff’s room all cleaned. I cleaned up all the house. Had supper ready on time. I sure can do a lot when I’m alone. Clothes dried good today.
      


Tuesday, January 10, 1967

A cloudy day. I done up my work. I did my ironing. Carmen outside playing. I cooked a chicken dinner. Betty and Carmen here for supper. Kim about the same, still in the hospital. Bill back to work after supper for a little while. Billie and I called at Aunt Ava’s and Uncle Lewis’s in evening. Betty to dentist.



Wednesday, January 11, 1967

A beautiful day. Mild. I washed. Carmen here. Mrs. Carter called to see Betty. Betty came up, she went to Dorothea’s. Carmen and I went too. Jeff all happy and content. Dorothea too. Betty and Carmen here for supper. Carmen outside playing. Kim not going to come home until after she goes to Portland hospital.



Thursday, January 12, 1967

Clear in a.m., clouded up early. I ironed, done odds and end jobs. Fern down to see about her Social Security. Dorothea took Aunt Ava into Portland. Delores got up to Dixfield to her brothers. He isn’t very good. Went as far as Norway with Betty. The David Thomas Jr family here for supper. Dorothea and Jeff so happy and glad to get home. I ironed, got the curtains up.

No comments:

Post a Comment