The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, April 15, 2018

February 18 - 21, 1964


Saturday, February 18, 1967

I got my work done up. I had Kim and Carmen last night and today. Baby real good. Betty had a flat tire. She came up and all were here for supper. Billie worked at Raymond in a.m., for Lawrence in p.m. Fern here for supper. We made house plans for the new house etc.



Sunday, February 19, 1967

A nice day. Very cold. I got up about 8:30, got my breakfast. Done up the work, got my hens into cook for supper. Betty and girls called, came about 10:30. Kim real good and so darn cunning playing etc. Lloyd called in a.m. In p.m. Bill and I went to Rosa Burnham’s funeral with Fern and Lloyd. Bill and Lloyd were two of the bearers. Dorothea and family here for Betty’s birthday supper, cake and ice cream. Also we had Bob. We showed the slides after supper. Mike called and wished her a happy birthday. Jack Weymouth and family called. We put Kim to bed last night while we were showing the pictures so she stayed right here.



Monday, February 20, 1967 Kim still good

Cold. Snowed all day. It began to accumulate in p.m. and Bill had to work until 10:30. I washed, had both of the kids. Betty to dentist. Billie and I took Kim home after supper. Kim was real good all day.



Tuesday, February 21, 1967

A cloudy day and snow flurries all day which amounted to about two more inches on top of the six we got yesterday. I’ve been here alone all day. I done a lot of cleaning etc. Washed all the floors. Mrs. Allen called on Betty. Kim still better. No wheezing or rattling. Paid for some flowers at Lowe’s today.


No comments:

Post a Comment