The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, January 13, 2017

March 3 - 6, 1962



Saturday, March 3, 1962 Bill sick

Cold and windy. Billie and I to town. Kennard went with us. I got my iron. Sent Betty and Mike money for their rent. In PM I did up my work. I was supposed to do it on Friday. Billie gone all p.m. Bill home sick and lame. It has been awful cold and windy, some light snow.



Sunday, March 4, 1962 30 Above

Fair in a.m., clouded up in PM. Bill not too good. I cleaned up his room, and he bathed, got into pajamas. Art and family called. Blanche came and cut Mama’s hair. Much warmer today. Dot And Kennie called.



Monday, March 5, 1962 LETTER FROM BETTY

Snow shower, 30 above. Nice and warm. But snowed a wet heavy storm. I washed. Today we had a letter from Betty. Very nice letter. I hope they get their apartment. At noon Billie took me to town. I sent Betty’s check. Kennard went with us. Billie didn’t have to work this p.m. Town meeting. He and Art Ward worked at Chet’s this p.m. I wrote a letter to Dorothea and family. Bill better.



Tuesday, March 6, 1962

Cloudy most all day. Temperature up 30 – 40. Clear in PM. Fern, Lloyd called in a.m. Kennard called in PM. Bill up and dressed today. I churned, done up the work, got the clothes in, ironed, made a chocolate pudding and meat pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment