The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

March 5 - 8, 1988

Saturday, March 5, 1988 Zack got new glasses

 

A nice day after the snowy day yesterday. I done regular work. Made and frosted cake. I didn’t baked beans. That changes everything. I am used to baking them every Saturday. No one here today. Betty and Walt over to Lewiston. Zack over to the National Guard station at Norway. He went and got his glasses after he got through work. Bill sat all day. He does every day. I don’t see how he can do it. Wind blowed hard all day.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 6, 1988

 

A nice sunny day. I worked at my desk. Walt and the puppy (Chelsea) came up for coffee. I worked at my desk. Carmen and Brogan called. Billie and Bill done reading to get caught up.

 

 

 

Monday, March 7, 1988 a beautiful day

 

I done regular work. Washed. Carmen and Brogan came. Carmen had gone to the doctors. Her nose is in bad shape. I hope she can get over it, be okay. She had done some shopping for Brogan. Very pretty little outfits. She had done my shopping over to Norway. Saw Kim today, first time for a long while. She looked very nice. I was down to Betty’s with the baby for a little while today. Betty and Kim took the baby puppy for her shots.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 8, 1988

 

Another very nice day. I did the ironing. Carmen and Brogan came. Carmen did the cleaning, she had to go way yesterday. Carmen made a cheesecake today. I made a soup. Carmen went down and helped Betty clean her place today. She also did the chores. Zack up after school. He wasn’t very happy. I hate to see him this way.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment