The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, December 11, 2023

February 6 - 9, 1988

 

Saturday, February 6, 1988 16 below 6 AM

 

A very nice sunny day, on the real cold side. It was 16 below when we got up. I done up my work. Washed the floors, made brownies. Betty made me a brown bread. She and Walt up to North Conway. She got me a couple things. Brogan and Carmen took Dennis home this forenoon. Brogan and Carmen called. Carmen got a bad foot from the fall she took last night. Betty took Carmen out for her birthday last night. They had a very good time. Betty and Walt are having Norma, Betty and Carmen and Brogan for supper. Also Zack and Kim.


 

 


 

 

Sunday, February 7, 1988

 

A quite nice day. It was very cold when we got up. 15 below here, colder in other places. Didn’t do much today. I did some reading, worked on last year’s summary of the diary. No one called. No one comes much now Milan is gone, miss him a lot. It got warmed up during the day. Kim called at about suppertime. Betty sent up a couple sandwiches (Italians). I feel sorry for Eddie, he is a good guy and worshiped the ground she walked on. He was honest and no bad qualities at all. I’ll miss him.

 



 


 

Monday, February 8, 1988 12 above

 

A nice clear morning. Not so cold. I washed. Carmen came this morning. I baked a chicken breast for supper, quite good. Billie over to Norway and done some shopping. It seemed good to see Zack drive-by to school this morning and home tonight. Watched the soaps today.

 

 

 

Tuesday, February 9, 1988

 

A quite nice day, not too cold. I did a big ironing. Carmen came, she and Bill went to town to shop. I called Esther. Billie back to Norway to get his pants fitted. In PM Norma and Betty came, also Betty and Brogan. They hauled Brogan up on the sled. She had a good time tipping off etc. She would laugh, enjoyed it so much. Betty, Norma and Betty went down to the Cemetery. Had the vet for Angel today. She is lame.

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment