The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

January 13 - 16, 1988

 

Wednesday, January 13, 1988

 

Some cloudy, some sun, it snowed a dite this morning when we got up but it cleared later. Mild today. Bill okay now. Betty took Milan to Lewiston to CMGH for x-rays, tests etc. on his shoulder. Carmen and Brogan came early and Betty and Kim. They all had a good bacon and egg and French toast breakfast. The bacon is some Carmen gave Bill for Christmas. Home cured and corn cob smoked from Vermont. Also we had some Kim gave us. It is delicious. Dorothea called this evening. Carmen got her hair cut yesterday. She looks so nice the way she had it done. I made a chocolate pudding.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 14, 1988 Dorothea all through her course.

 

Very cold. 12 below when we got up. Well Dorothea got all done taking her real estate course tonight. I’m very glad. She has done very well. Got good ranks on it. Now she has got to go to Augusta to take her final exams. We all chipped together and got her a traveling case for her business. Barbara gave her a calculator. Well I did the washing, other odds and end jobs. Carmen made a microwave chocolate cake. It was very good. She and Brogan here for supper. Betty and I to Windham in PM to get Dorothea’s gift.

 

 


 

Friday, January 15, 1988

 

It has been cold, but not quite as cold as the past day and night. No wind today. I cooked a couple fish chowder’s for supper. They was good. We watched TV soaps. Bill is much better. Billie got his dog and car license today. Zack called this evening. I watched shows on TV tonight.

 

 

 

Saturday, January 16, 1988

 

It was much milder today. It seemed good. I got up early, got the breakfast, done up the regular work. I vacuumed, dusted, cleaned up. Washed floors. I baked some good beans. Also I made some bread which I haven’t done for a long while. Carmen and Brogan called. Zack dropped in and Betty. Carmen went to work. Betty and Walt had Brogan. Eddie called. He has been fixing Kim’s car. Kim spent day cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment