The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, December 15, 2023

February 20 - 22, 1988 Surprise 50th Birthday Party for Joy

 

Saturday, February 20, 1988

 

Partly cloudy day after snow and rain last night. I done regular Saturday work. Floors, swept and dusted. Baked the beans. Carmen and Brogan called. Carmen got a bad cold. Tonight a big surprise birthday party for Joy at Debbie and Jay’s by her four daughters. 40 to 50 people invited. We had Brogan for a little while while Betty, Walt, Carmen and Kim went. She was very good. Carmen real sick with a bad cold and asthma. When she went to bed tonight. I hope she will be okay. Zack to Portland to take a physical.

 




 

 


 

 

Sunday, February 21, 1988 Carmen and Brogan

 

A very nice sunny day. I done up my work. I wrote to Esther. Betty came later, we took a ride over to see Carmen and Brogan. They both have colds and sick. Walt didn’t come up for breakfast for coffee. He was sick. David came while I was gone. He and Billie talked and had coffee.

 

 

 

Monday, February 22, 1988

 

I did the wash today. Bill and Billie took showers. Billie to the Dr. Fryeburg. Bill to the hospital for a blood test. I was a dite late getting the wash done. I got the chicken to going and into the oven and the vegetables. Betty, Kim and Bill over to Norway. They did my shopping. I made my brownies after they got home. Kim and Betty Smith here for supper and evening. They liked it very much. I was glad to have them both. A nice day, mild.

No comments:

Post a Comment