The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, December 14, 2023

February 16 - 19, 1988

Tuesday, February 16, 1988

 

Kind of a cloudy side day. I didn’t do much except I got supper to going. Smoked shoulder, cabbage and potato. Had Carmen here for her birthday supper. She and Brogan here all day. She got the package off to Esther. We watch soaps. Walt in the hospital in Lewiston for test examinations etc. He and Betty gone all day. Susan did Fern’s hair today.

 

 

 

Wednesday, February 17, 1988 Betty Louise Crook Horton

 

A beautiful day, mild. I sent a letter to Thena. Down to Betty’s this forenoon, we watched her look at her cards. She was pleased. She and the girls are going antiquing soon. Betty and Carmen cleaned out the hens and cleaned up the barn. I was down there with Brogan.

 

 

 

Thursday, February 18, 1988

 

I done up the regular work. Made a pie and tarts. I got to watch the soaps. Carmen and Brogan called. She went to town for me. I don’t know what I would do without her.

 

 

 

Friday, February 19, 1988

 

A fair day. Kind of cloudy in PM. It is supposed to rain and snow in the night. I made a pudding. Done regular work. Didn’t see Carmen today. Baby went over to Dennis’s for all night. Billie down town and got grain. Bill didn’t do much today. He has a stiff neck. Kim don’t work today. I did the wash. Zack to Portland to a meeting with the Army officials to see about going into the service. I hope he never goes.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment